2011-07-11

Soundgarden concert review - July 2, Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto

Here's a late concert review, I've been busy enjoying the summer and haven't had time to put all these thoughts swimming in my head about this concert down in words. 

I admit to being a bit skeptical at first.  How would the band's chops hold up?  Would the chemistry still be there?  Would they favour new material, or would it play like a greatest hits?  Will Chris Cornell nail those stunning vocal parts from Superunknown?

Let me put it mildly: there was no rust on this machine.  The band was as sharp as you'd expect from the first night of a major tour, and a comeback one at that.  I didn't bring earplugs, this being the lawns and all.  I was definitely not expecting the band to be that loud.  They were extremely heavy, loud, and energetic through the entire set.

The setlist did not disappoint.  They allayed my fears instantly, opening with the comeback single "Black Rain", which from the parking lot sounded like it could have been from Badmotorfinger.  Getting the new material out of the way, they played a punishing set that would satisfy the 'greatest-hitters' and the long time fans... check out the setlist, via setlist.fm:

Black Rain
Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Spoonman
Gun
Rusty Cage
Blow Up the Outside World
Let Me Drown
Jesus Christ Pose
My Wave
The Day I Tried to Live
Outshined
Beyond the Wheel
Fell on Black Days
Ugly Truth
Burden in My Hand
Superunknown
Black Hole Sun
4th of July

Encore:

Face Pollution
Like Suicide
Slaves & Bulldozers

I have an idea for a post about how awesome setlist.fm is, which I will hopefully hammer out soon.

The biggest surprise of all was the vocal performance by Chris Cornell.  My friend Matt remarked during the show that it was one of the greatest vocal performances he had ever seen, and I tend to agree.  Not just jazz, classical, or rock, but vocal performances, period.  Absolutely breathtaking.  We couldn't believe our ears.

The combination of an amazing performance and a stunning lightning show made this a very memorable performance.  Massive rain kinda put a... damper on the exit, but what can we say?  Soundgarden is back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a good reason that Black Rain sounds like it could have been from Badmotorfinger. It was recorded in those sessions but not included on the album. They rearranged and rerecorded some parts of it for their reunion, but it's essentially a Badmotorfinger era song.

Anyway, it was an awesome show and Chris Cornell can wail like he ever could.

phatmat said...

Yeah, at first you think he's singing with a backing track because it sounded so good... Shades of Robert Plant in my mind