2010-03-27

Saturday influences

This is the song that people are talking about when they say the Killers were influenced by Springsteen on Sam's Town. From the vocal to the arrangement, the signs are all there. Of course, The Killers substituted synths for horns and bells. There might be another song out there that's a better example, but this is the track that I heard today.

According to the user who uploaded this, the vocal was slightly sped up. It's pretty subtle, but it makes sense.



Speaking of the Killers, if they never come out with another decent album again, their entire career will have been worth it for this song:



One thing I won't be able to forgive them for is their awful Joy Division cover... their version of "Shadowplay" is a bit of a train wreck. Yes, I'm incredibly biased as a huge fan, but Joy Division just shouldn't be covered. Especially when it turns into a silly dance-pop romp.

Bah... I'm torn. If someone came to me and said, "Hey, can you cover a Joy Division song for an Ian Curtis biopic? It'll get you lots of airplay and there will be lots of money involved..." I would be hard pressed to say no to that, regardless of whether I think their repertoire is untouchable. I guess it comes down to this - They were the only artist chosen to provide a new version of a song for the soundtrack, so that's gotta count for something.

The question you're now asking is -- "Hey Matt, have you seen the movie?"... to which I respond... no. *Hangs head in shame*

Off to the library I go... :)

No comments: