2009-01-02

Of crossovers and sell-outs

Reading my wonderful xmas gift copy of the Pitchfork 500, I'm reminded of Marvin Gaye's sell-out disco crossover tune "Got To Give It Up (Part 1)":


Got to Give It Up - Marvin Gaye

Which is a pretty similar groove to LCD Soundsystem's crossover hit "Daft Punk is Playing at My House":



And I'm also reminded of an interview of James Murphy of the above band saying he'd turned down working with Madonna for whatever reason. I think he's fucking nuts for saying no.

Imagine the castle you could rent with that money.
Imagine the gear that you stock into that place.
Imagine the fridge full of drugs the craziest of all rock stars would have in a place like that.

Sell-out or not, I would have taken the money.

---

Anywho, getting to the point, here's the last Madonna single:


Give it 2 me - Madonna Ft. Pharrel

So did Madonna hire Pharrell & co. to produce an LCD-ified Marvin Gaye ripoff? Perhaps. I guess the moral of the story is: Madonna always gets her way.

No comments: