2008-09-11

Sounds from a desperate man

Oh boy, am I ever so excited to head to the ballot box next month. My favourite part about these overwrought wastes of hard working people's time and money is the campaign ads. They've long been a form of the most cunning wit and vile slander, but what's really of interest to me are the hidden messages contained within the half-minute nuggets false pretense.

Listen to the music in the following clip:



The gentle piano suggests that kind ol' grandpa that Harper seriously wishes he was, but can't quite pull off with the frightening zombie look that no amount of cosmetic band-aids can cure.

However, listen closer and you will notice the tune sounds quite a bit like Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me".

Sounds like a desperate man.

In fact, it's the cry of a man who desperately needs to be loved -
Don't discard me just because you think I mean you harm
But these cuts I have they need love to help them heal


More on this when the Liberals get enough cash together to hire an ad agency and buy some air time. My guess is that Dion's ads will feature music that's vaguely reminiscent of Jackson's "Heal the World".

Only time will tell.

---

More neo-con music: Stephen Harper's New Campaign song (actually, it's a clever little ditty)

No comments: