2011-08-15

Sunday night blues

Last week I mentioned I saw some posters advertising the Spirit of the Edge... Must have been some extra posters lying around from five years ago, cause I tuned in last night to the usual music I've come to expect from the radio station.

So now, in an effort to distract you from whatever it is you had planned on doing for the next couple hours, I present a link to the awesome CFNY fansite Spirit of Radio

Check out their chart lists... the 1989 chart is especially interesting because the station went to a top 40/pop format after being a truly alternative station for most of its existence.  By 1991 they seemed to be back on track, and we probably have Nirvana to thank for that.  Then again, 1997 has Our Lady Peace... Not that I can complain, they were actually one of my favourite bands at the time. 

The Spirit of Radio also has the epic 1002 songs of all time chart from 1999, which is pretty fascinating, as it features a lot of very cool artists, (Bowie, Devo, Tool, NIN, Talking Heads) among other more obvious choices (Pearl Jam, U2, The Hip, U2, Nirvana, U2...) 

It's an interesting document as it shows the way people were viewing alternative rock music at the time, right before Y2K and of course, before Kid A.


No comments: