2011-06-30

Captain America trailer features Tool song

From Tool's Ænima, here's "Forty-Six & 2" (now 15 years old!!!) employed like some sort of blunt instrument to bludgeon the movie-going public into watching Captain America.

I'm all for hearing more Tool in popular culture, but it seems sorely misused here.  Maybe it's just the thought that the film is set in the 1940s, and it's weird for me to hear my favourite music from high school chopped up and edited in such a perverse fashion.

Tool, A Perfect Circle and Nine Inch Nails seem to be the current shorthand for conveying aggression and masculine energy in trailers. 

Here's the mind-numbing non-stop action-packed sequence:



There's an alternate trailer with a different song... I have no idea what the name of that track is.

I wonder what it's like for a 15 year old kid watching this trailer and finding out about these artists for the first time.  From that perspective, then by all means, I'm all for it.  My guess is that "these kids today" will just download the music for free or just listen to individual tracks, thereby missing the enriching experience of the by-gone album era.

As for the movie itself... meh.  My wild guess is that this trailer distills all the best parts into 2:30.  Works for me.

4 comments:

BronzebeardTank said...

"Tool, A Perfect Circle and Nine Inch Nails seem to be the current shorthand for conveying aggression and masculine energy in trailers. "

And they are laughing all the way to the bank...

phatmat said...

Yeah, it's true

herpmcderp said...

You are severely mislead if you think this was a bad choice. The reason it was picked (and it WAS the perfect song to pick here) is explained in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A

phatmat said...

@jimmyclyde

Great choice for the trailer, bad choice for a fan of the band.

The fact that Disney owns Marvel adds a stink of selling out to the whole thing on the band's behalf. I'm very protective of this band and their music, so to see them whore out like this kills me a little inside... even despite this being par for the course in the music industry these days