2010-11-21

Saigon Sunday

From the video description on the 'Tuber: Classic song from the pioners [sic] of the industrial rock.



Call me late to the party, but the usual morons commenting on the video seem to forget that Trent Reznor/NIN often cites this group as a major influence, among many other "pioners" of industrial rock. Pop and rock simply doesn't exist without influences and "pioners", so it's ridiculous to make comments saying that one is valid and the other is not, especially considering the attention that NIN brought to all of the groups that were influences on their sound.

I'm pretty biased though, being a bit of a NIN-superfan... I also love this commenter's remark: stop whining on youtube and listen to the album vivi sect vi by skinny puppy and anything by killing joke or the first album by the human league. they all did what your hero trent reznor does but did it first and did it better.

Buddy here is doing the same whining on youtube and giving grief to others for doing the same. The main difference here is that Trent Reznor took elements of these bands and created something new out of the pieces. It doesn't necessarily make his work "better", but he definitely did a better job at bringing the sound to the masses. I've listened to the entire Skinny Puppy catalog (because I am a fan), and while there's a lot of brilliant, cutting edge stuff in there, there's also a lot of unlistenable shit. Unlistenable shit that was repeated album after album. I'm not sure how many times I can listen to Nivek Ogre scream through pure distortion about death and decay, but I'd say two or three albums worth of that stuff is plenty (I think that was the point though).

Say what you will about NIN, but the sound evolved between every album. Each album took a different approach, different concept, different theme. Skinny Puppy, Cabaret Voltaire, they did too, but they mostly worked within the ground-breaking spaces they created. Human League? Well, I think this track here speaks for itself. Haven't heard the soft rock turn of any of the other bands I've mentioned in this post, so yeah. Food for thought. Who's the real sellout?

No comments: