2010-06-08

So that's it for FM radio

I've been meaning to post about this for a little while, cause I'm pissed.

Toronto's Edge 102 has replaced their only show worth listening to, Saigon Sunday aka Retro Sundays aka the only reason I have 102.1 still programmed on my radio presets, with a fucking Dr. Drew show. A part of me is officially dead inside.

Of course the show hasn't been the same since the late great Martin Streek (RIP), a guy who always had time to chat at the venues and had an inspiring passion and knowledge for music. I'll always remember the days at the old 'Joe' club (now home to CHUM radio), tearing up the dance floor and not always leaving the place under my own power.

The show was basically alternative 'club-type music' aka upbeat, rockin', danceable tunes, from 1976-1993 (the last couple years they pushed it to 98-99) The radio broadcast would go from 9-2 on Sunday nights while the doors to the actual club would open at 10 and wouldn't shut down to nearly 3 on some nights.

As for the tunes, luckily for me (and for you) I've been compiling the playlist to end all Saigon Sunday playlists over the last four years, and I have decided I will officially take up the torch of keeping the 'spirit' of that music alive. I intend to make it a point to post songs and videos on Sundays, and I have thoughts of eventually doing it in podcast form. Wouldn't that be sweet.

So here it is, a nice big first installment of Saigon Sunday (yah yah, on a Tuesday):











No comments: