2009-10-13

A glorious dawn

The response has been overwhelming!

Everyone I talk to about the recent Carl Sagan auto-tune video loves it. Myself, I've gone to YouTube and watched the entire 'Cosmos' series... I vaguely remember watching the show in public school. It's amazing to think of how much scientific discovery has occurred since the show first aired in 1980: the discovery of microbes on Mars, the news last week that there is another, infrared ring around Saturn, and so on. Even still, the series is both awe-inspiring and humbling, and I am instilled with a profound sense of wonder.

Plus, according to Wikipedia, Vangelis did the score for the show! That's the guy that did Chariots of Fire, among other terrific musc!

The great thing about the song and video is the way it touches on the key points of Mr. Sagan's work while updating it for the contemporary pop medium with healthy doses of technology, irony and humour. I've had the damned catchy tune in my head for a couple weeks now.

My dad sends me this cool link, featuring lyrics and commentary for the video/song. Check it out... although I think some of the commenters are a little confused as to what "auto-tune" and "irony" actually are.

No comments: