2008-06-15

Hip pop

The other day I was eating lunch at Tim Hortons and seated beside me were a couple of young kids and their mother. The kids were talking about their favourite songs and rappers, suggesting names to each other.

"50 Cent!"
"Chris Brown!"
"Lil Wayne!"

Umm... excuse me? Lil Wayne? These kids couldn't have been more than 10 years old! I am certainly anti-censorship, but I think mama should at least be aware that her kids are being exposed to a song with these lyrics:

"Sh, sh, she lick me
Like a lollipop, lollipop"

"I ain't never seen an ass like hers
That pussy in my mouth
Had me lost for words"

Of course it all makes sense when you check the top of charts - Lil Wayne is #1. Even the smallest and most vulnerable of ears are going to come into contact with this malt sugar concoction.

I don't mean to sound like some kind of PMRC nut, but there should at least be some sort of minimum age requirement for hearing lyrics about how Mr. Carter's braces-on-vagina formula is leaving him at a loss for words... at least he was raised well - "Don't talk with your mouth full!"

But it's not just the pop charts - Lil Wayne impresses the hell out of indie-rock snobs too.

Here's the hilarious video, which reminds me of the part in Saturday Night Fever at the start... or is it Grease... where there's that montage of getting ready to go out. It's the same thing. The video also features some idiot on top of the stretch-Hummer-limo playing the guitar. The guitar is not in the album cut, and probably should have stayed out of the song, as it sounds shabby. It's not mixed well.
I wonder if Lil Wayne paid off a drug debt by putting the guy in his video. That must be it.

No comments: