2008-05-07

Concert woes

The other day I learned that Queens of the Stone Age, one of my all-time favourite bands, are playing a surprise show in Toronto on Friday. At the El Mocambo! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Trouble is, I'm already going to see Cut Copy on Friday. Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Ahh well. There's absolutely nothing I can do, as going to both would be a logistical impossibility. The last time I missed a Queens show, I think it was a private show for a beer company, and I wasn't interested in giving them a bunch of demographic information, email, etc. just to see the band in a venue filled with the stench of mooks and Molson. And the time before that they hadn't started playing all ages venues.

But back to Cut Copy, they're streaming the first five tracks (in order) from their new album, In Ghost Colours, up on their myspace. The album is a marked progression over their previous LP, Bright Like Neon Love, and features awe-inspiring production from DFA's Tim Goldsworthy.

Portishead is also back with a dark, progressive trip-hop album (can they make any other kind), and while the video for their first song isn't anything special, stylistically, it fits the mood of the song well, with punishing aggression in the foreground and fragile beauty filling the background.

No comments: