2007-09-21

Monday's big announcement

The prestigious Polaris Prize is being announced Monday. The Toronto library has 49 (!) copies of the Chad VanGaalen album, and 0 (!) holds! I expect the holds would jump after Monday, especially if he wins. I certainly don't envy the jury, as they've got a tough job ahead of them. My vote would be for Joel Plaskett, but this is a Canadian prize, so it could go to an artist who hasn't had tons of praise heaped on them (even if it is deserved).

Last year's winner, Final Fantasy, was a bit of a surprise to me, I thought it was the weakest of the bunch. I do agree with giving the lesser-known, and perhaps under-appreciated artists the prize. I don't see Miracle Fortress scoring an iPod commercial; and $20,000, though it looks sweet to anyone, would certainly look sweeter to one of the nominees without massive distribution deals.

The Nominees:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes are the Dark Horse
The Dears - Gang of Losers
Julie Doiron - Woke Myself Up
Feist - The Reminder
Junior Boys - So This Is Goodbye
Miracle Fortress - Roses
Joel Plaskett - Ashtray Rock
Chad VanGaalen - Skelliconnection
Patrick Watson - Close to Paradise

No comments: