2012-03-30

The Art of the Playlist

Building a great playlist, or as we called them in the old days, "mixtapes", is a task requiring a great deal of knowledge, execution, and nuance.

I spend a lot of time making interesting playlists, even going as far as timing them out to perhaps one day fit onto the ancient format of the compact disc - 79ish minutes in length.

Hopefully I can turn this into a series of posts, because I have lots of ideas and suggestions and stuff that's just too interesting to keep all to myself. All of my playlist building happens in iTunes, and as much as it's a memory hog and sort of an unruly piece of software, I'm pretty entrenched with it right now and the fact I use an iPod as my main music device isn't going to do much to change that.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head that would be interesting to explore:

-The way the context and meaning of a playlist can change and grow as new songs are added over time

-Audio quality has to factor in at some point- a remastered version of an older song would fit the playlist flow better than that same song in amongst a bunch of old CD rips where the mastering level is much lower

-My own internalized Can-Con bias- In regards to general playlists, I always try to toss in some Canadian stuff where appropriate. Obviously this would not work a playlist like 'Madchester Bangers', 'Japanese Noise Rock short cuts', or 'Kosmische Anthems'

No comments: