2010-05-04

Caribou concert review: solid

May 3, 2010: Caribou @ The Phoenix

I was hoping for a better venue than the Phoenix for my first time seeing the band since 2005, but hey, what can I say. I spent the first four songs in the beer line. Luckily I was able to catch a pretty decent view. You'd think they'd have more than one bartender... whatever.

Snaith isn't a terribly gifted singer, but he fits his voice to the tunes and always gives it his all. He played synth, drums, plus either bass or guitar (I couldn't tell from where I was standing), and he was joined by a band playing guitar, bass and drums. Lots of playing with the songs and a few improvised diversions, which were excellent. That's why we go to the show, right? We don't want to hear identical renditions of the CD, or we'd just go home and listen to the CD.

The setlist was mostly made up of cuts from the last two albums, and I think everything from the new album was played. There were a couple songs from Milk of Human Kindness, "Barnowl" stands out for me. That was pretty awesome.

Openers Toro Y Moi (which my brother tells us is something to do with a bull) sounded kind of like Cut Copy. Instrumentation included bass, drums and a guy playing synth and singing. Better than expected from an opener.

My brother and I bumped into popular CBC radio personality Jian Ghomeshi, who was just the gent you'd expect him to be, friendly and outgoing, especially after we told him we're fellow Thornhillers.

Overall, solid and memorable night. Next time I won't wait five years in between seeing Caribou live.

And as usual, the cell phone video doesn't do it justice:

No comments: