2010-04-06

Spoon: concert review

I'm glad someone else wrote a review of Spoon's recent show at the Sound Academy... I've been meaning to do it for a few days. In regards to the above review, Spoon was better than Deerhunter, imho. I'm definitely more familiar with the former.

I'll get a few points in:
-Great setlist, despite the fact it was missing "I Turn My Camera On"
-The numbers from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga with horns on the record really could have used horns live. It sounded really thin and the keyboard alone didn't have the fullness I would have liked.
-Holy crap, the drummer, Jim Eno (no relation) is a freaking robot. Mechanical and precise and nary a fill to be heard.
-Very cool stage setup, kinda minimal yet poignant like much of the band's music.
-What's up with Sound Academy shaking down people like it's the US Embassy? I think they've had trouble in the past with ne'er do wells. Perhaps people feel like they need to pack extra goods for the long trek down the venue.
-They definitely need a strip of bars/pubs in that area, seems like there's lots of open land... the place feels so isolated.
-Awesome weather, nice night for a show. As always, great view of the city skyline. If you're heading down to the venue for a concert, turn your camera on.


No comments: