2008-04-24

Undisciplined




Trent Reznor must have found his muse, because he's been busy lately. Year Zero and the Saul Williams album last year, Ghosts I-IV already this year, and now it seems there's more music on the way from the Prince of Misery.

Yesterday, during one my hourly checks of nin.com, I was greeted with news that a new track had been released and already out to radio! Cool beans, right? Yeah! AND something big is coming in two weeks... what? Two weeks? The last time he dropped this hint, Ghosts fell from the sky! Yeah! Awesome, right?

Well, yes, until the track started playing. Yikes. I hope this isn't what the rest of a possible album sounds like. I think a NIN ripoff band could have put together a more inventive track. It sounds like something axed from Year Zero early on... the hook is weak and the song never really gets to where it wants to go. It's half of "Hand That Feeds" with a little James Blunt false start thrown in for good measure. The other half is a murky mess left behind from the Ghosts sessions.

My guess is that whatever comes in two weeks will be some kind of a remix project/album. "Discipline" is way too pedestrian for Mr. Reznor, which gives me the impression that from here on in, he'll be doing half the songwriting and letting the fans do the rest.

---

Links:

NIN.com
NIN Hotline

No comments: